Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Stupidity


I wonder to think sometimes that the country is so full of self-obssessed idiots. The other day as I was reading the newspaper, I came across a news piece which reported a senior leader will unveil six statues of her own on 3 July.
The Times of India said Uttar Pradesh chief minister and the Bahujan Samaj Party chief Mayawati will unveil on 3 July 40 statues, including six of her own, at different places in the state (read: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/India/India/Mayawati-to-unveil-40-statues-six-of-them-of-herself/articleshow/4694772.cms).
The 40 statues has cost the state exchequer some Rs6.68 crore. Also, she is going to plant 60 marble statues of elephants at Ambedkar memorial, which is set to cost some Rs52 crore. A sum of around Rs 70 crore, I will say, is wasted.
The state government, in the budget for fiscal 2009 had allocated at least Rs194 crore for building statues of "great leaders". The entire amount was spent. And ironically, I don't remember any statues pf great freedom fighters being unveiled that year.
I don't really know if the state has ever spent so much cash on the welfare of the public.
Anyway, I think this idea of putting one's own statue is completely absurd. Write to me if you differ.
Last time I remember a politician putting up his own statue was Saddam Hussein. Sadly, that statue was pulled down by an angry mob after the US attack on Iraq. Worse people greetad the face of the statue with footwear and washed it off by urinating on it. I wish these statues don't witness that bad a future.
That she is a self obssessed woman, is well known. Not so long back, she joined the so-called Third Front before the 15th Lok Sabha elections, was also an act of self-appraisal. I wonder if she had not been projected as the PM candidate of the group, she would have ever joined the team.
Why don't the people of the state get rid of her, is a question that remains unanswered. Guess the next best alternative the poor public has, is Mulayam Singh.
I don't blame the janta.

2 comments:

  1. Madam Mayawati is a very smart lady. Using the Dalit bank, she has indeed come a long way. To the point of getting her statues erected. It now remains to be seen how farther up she will go......let's not also forget her "prime ministerial" ambitions. God help India, if she occupies that chair one day!!!!!!!!!!!!! She will litter the country with her statues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @TDIC: god help the citizen with some brains is all I can say

    ReplyDelete