Sunday, May 3, 2009

Life in a Metro


Saw the award-winning movie 36 Chowranghee Lane a couple of days ago. It was perhaps the first movie that portrayed the helplessness of the young couples who try to find out some time for themselves amid the good-old joint families in a bustling city such as Calcutta.

On the other hand the story also depicts the loneliness that one faces in such a city.
Two extremes, both so very realistic even in the contemporary society, some 18 years after the film was released.

I, having left home some three, three-and-a-half years ago, have been through both the extremes; and guess most of the people in my generation who have been living alone in a city, away from home, would have felt the same.

So as I was telling you, I have passed the phase of loneliness and am blessed with The Lady I have in my life. The problem, however, is that having the same routine, same work hours and work pressure, we are so exhausted by night, that we can't even talk. No, I am not in a live-in relationship (though I would have loved to be in one with The Lady). We have time for each-other, but the problem is, as we always discuss, we dont talk to each other much.

Of course, I am the prime culprit, and should be thankful to God that She still bears me and loves me as much, but I would confess something here—after a long hard day in the office, when you return to your top-floor, 1BHK furnace, you dont feel like talking much. But no excuses, I should be talking more.

I am trying to be a better man and for the soution of the woes, I have written my way out through this samll piece:

एक कटोरी चाँद लाया था आज बाज़ार से हमारे लिए,
दिन कुछ जल्दी ढल जाता है आज कल...
रात के सन्नाटे काटने को दौड़ते हैं...
चाँद को खूंटे से टांग दूँगा मैं...
उसकी रौशनी से कमरे में तो उजाला होगा...
दो पल और मिलेंगे मुझे तुम्हारे साथ
एक लम्हा ज़िन्दगी और जी लूँगा मैं...

Love you Sona...

3 comments:

  1. I think the reason she "still bears and loves you as much" as you put it is because she understands your plight....
    By the way, a beautifully written piece...and so is the poem...The Lady is sure a lucky one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can relate to ur plight very well.. i share the same feelings. as a woman i am jealous of "The Lady" but im happy for her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @TDIC and Maithri, thanks guys for agrreing...guess we all share the same cord deep within...

    ReplyDelete